Annual Call for Expression of Interest 2022
CELIS Country Reporters
Foreign Investment Regulation, especially Investment Screening
The CELIS Institute announces the opening of number of positions as
CELIS Country Reporter and
CELIS Assistant Country Reporter (m/f/d)
which will contribute to the Institute’s Knowledge and Research Hub at www.celis.institute.
We are particularly interested in applications from the following jurisdictions: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, North-Macedonia, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, and Spain. To add additional capacities, we, however, also consider applications from jurisdictions where we have already actively serving (assistant) country reporters: https://www.celis.institute/about/#CR.
To provide regular updates and analyses about developments in the various jurisdictions around the globe on foreign investment regulation, especially on screening for threats to public order and security, the CELIS Institute invites expressions of interest from experts working in private practice, in-house legal practice, government, civil service, academia, or civil society.
The CELIS Country Reporters and CELIS Assistant Country Reporters are expected to
(1) follow legal developments in their respective designated jurisdiction,
(2) collect and provide to CELIS relevant material, such as laws, and regulations, judgements, and reference to literature,
(3) regularly compile concise, clear, and well-informed analyses and blog posts of new developments and events regarding foreign investment regulation, with a particular focus on investment screening, and
(4) present an annual Country Report at the CELIS Forum on Investment Screening (CFIS) for inclusion in the annual edition of the CELIS Investment Security Report.
About the Institute
The CELIS Institute is an independent non-profit, non-partisan research enterprise. It is dedicated to promoting better regulation of foreign investments in the context of security, public order, and competitiveness. We produce expert analysis and foster a continuous trusting dialogue between policymakers, the investment community, and academics. The CELIS Institute is the leading forum for studying and debating investment screening policy.
The CELIS Institute’s activities focus on policy-oriented analysis through its publications and events organised around the flagship CELIS Forum on Investment Security and conference publication CELIS Investment Security Report. The CELIS Knowledge and Research Hub hosted on the CELIS Institute website www.celis.institute is the most comprehensive and up to date online tool available for foreign investment screening.
Through its network of Country Reporters, the Institute provides full coverage of EU and global screening regimes, including legislation, guidance, court judgments, summaries, academic articles, policy briefs, and is updated up to several times a day. The Hub provides news updates in this rapidly developing area, a target search tool, an FDI screening map, and other resources including podcasts.
The current Call is part of CELIS Institute’s initiative to expand its network of practitioners, researchers, officials and other stakeholders in the field and further developing its Knowledge and Research Hub.
CELIS Country Reporters and CELIS Assistant Country Reporters hold a degree in law and are currently working on and has relevant expertise in legal, political and/or economic issues of foreign investment regulation. They can communicate analysis to stakeholders from different backgrounds and have the ability to transpose specific notions of national law to English in a clear and precise fashion. A CELIS Country Reporter is an established player in the field and has seven and more years of expertise. A CELIS Assistant Country Reporter is active in the field for at least one year and his current activity evidences its aspiration to firmly establish itself in the field.
Depending on the individual expertise and language skills, you may cover one country only, or several. For each jurisdiction the Institute aims to have at least one responsible CELIS Country Reporter and one CELIS Assistant Country Reporter.
What we can offer:
- A CELIS Fellowship which allows for free access to resources, specifically designed search functions, and other CELIS content.
- The privilege to participate in a cutting-edge research project that aims both to cover and shape the development of the law and policy of foreign investment regulation, especially foreign investment screening.
- The unprecedented opportunity to work with a dynamic and dedicated team and liaise with the foreign investment regulation community and various stakeholders and publication opportunities.
CELIS Country Reporter and CELIS Assistant Country Reporter will work remotely. Please note that this is a non-remunerated position.
If you are interested, please, first, fill in the Expression of Interest Form online and, second, submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter, in which you also indicate the specific level of position and jurisdiction(s) for which you apply, by email, before
30 April 2022,
Berlin, 15 March 2021